Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Seven Weeks Unemployed

Today marks the end of my seventh week of unemployment and the beginning of my eighth. YUCK. I am feeling pretty low this week. I don't have a heck of a lot of motivation to do anything, especially read, which is sad because I have a ton of books at the house to read. I also received "The Tudors" on DVD for Christmas and I don't even want to watch that. This is my second to last week of "freedom" before school starts up again on January 20, so I really should be doing SOMETHING.

I am really frustrated. I feel like I did everything that I was "supposed" to do, and here I am, jobless. I studied hard in college and nearly graduated with a 4.0. I again worked hard and received my Professional in Human Resources (PHR) certification in June 2006. Now, I am getting my Master's degree and have a 4.0 with less than half of my program to go. I sacrificed a fair amount to accomplish the above three things and have no job and no prospects. I have been questioning a lot lately whether or not I am in the right career, but besides being an anchor on SportsCenter, an Academy Award-winning actress, or an author, don't really have any ideas of what I would be.

I also thought I was moving out of the Anger stage, but it sneaked back in late last week. I still have some anger towards my former employer. I am angry that they put bonuses and holiday parties above people's lives. I am hurt that they didn't see enough long-term potential in me to keep me employed. That has been a hard feeling to deal with and try to work through and is the thought that has really led me to question my career choice.

No comments: